Would You Feed Your Pet Nothing But Potato Chips?

The other day the pavlovinator left us a little gift.  No, not in her litter box, and not that kind of gift.  She left us a cute little heart shape in the little bit of food she had left in her bowl.DSCN7914

This got me thinking that I should do a post about the type of cat food we feed her.  Most commercial cat foods are junk.  Just like potato chips.  In fact, pretty much any cat food you can buy at the grocery store is full of grain, chemicals, and fillers.  Not meat and vegetables like cats naturally eat.

We do use the brand Blue Buffalo to feed our cat, but other than that I have no affiliation with the company.  That being said, they do have a great article about reading pet food labels (cat and dog).

Among the main points are to look at the ingredient list of any pet food you are considering feeding to your fur baby.  If you see chicken by-product meal, poultry by-product meal, corn, or any chemicals then you should put the bag back and find something better.  Something better should include real meat, whole grains, and vegetables and fruits.

I haven’t done much research into feeding pets a raw diet because frankly, we can barely afford to buy organic meat for us to eat occasionally, much less feed a cat daily.  Also, I don’t really have the time or desire to prepare cat food ever day.  But it is another healthy option for the fur babies.

Basically, no matter what you decide to do, at least do your research.  If you love your pets like family, then treat their food with the same respect you treat the rest of your family’s food.  Read labels, research ingredients, learn industry lingo.

What do you feed your pets?


Death Lily

If not made obvious by my writing about the pavlovinator, I love cats.  I love all animals, but cats especially.  This made the discovery of a bright orange lily growing in our yard kind of disturbing.


Of course it closed before I got a picture.

For those of you who don’t know, all members of the lily family are extremely toxic to cats.  The flower is the most toxic but all parts of the plant, including the pollen are also.  Ingestion of any part can be fatal to cats.  Even a small amount is dangerous.  If you know there is lily pollen on your cat, be sure to wash it off thoroughly as the could ingest it when grooming themselves.  If you see a cat eating a lily, even just a small amount, take them immediately to a veterinarian.  There is effective treatment but only if they are treated within the first 18 hours of ingesting the lily.  After that the prospects are more grim.

If you didn’t see them eating it but suspect they might have, take them to a vet.  Early symptoms of lily toxicity include vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite, tremors, and seizures.  Kidney failure and death follow if untreated.

Please, help us protect the cats that we so love as part of our families and handle lilies like you would other poisons.  After taking this photo I pulled the lily plant and composted it in our compost that is surrounded by chicken wire.  We have some outdoor neighborhood cats that I quite enjoy seeing curled up on the rocking chairs on our porch.  I would hate for anything to happen to them, or worse, the pavlovinator.

My suggestion is to grow either a pet grass or catnip (depending on how much your cat likes catnip), feed them healthy pet food and the occasional healthy pet treat.  Don’t grow lilies or buy floral arrangements including them unless you are 100% sure your cat and other outdoor possibly stray cats cannot get to them.  Also consider your disposal, if you compost (and you should) make sure you either toss lilies or compost them somewhere no cats can get to like an enclosed composter.

And because we’re on the subject of cats, spay and neuter all your pets and be sure to adopt from shelters and not animals that were bred at so-called ‘puppy mills’.